Tuesday, February 10, 2015

USGA Recognition at the Annual Meeting

This past weekend I was honored to be the guest of the United States Golf Association at their annual meeting in New York City.  I was asked to attend the meeting as a "Champion of the Game" for our environmental sustainability efforts at Harrison Bay.  Although I was there as the superintendent of Harrison Bay, with GCSAA CEO Rhett Evans and GCSAA President Keith Ihms in attendance I was representing every golf course that strives to maintain a balance between the desires of the golfers and the needs of the environment.

Mike Nixon, USGA President Tom O'Toole, Paul Carter
I have had many dealings with the great people at USGA over the years through articles, webcasts, and the primary funding of our Harrison Bay Eagle Cam but it was truly a highlight of my career to be recognized by USGA President Tom O'Toole for the work that we love to do anyway.  I was also honored that our Director of Golf Mike Nixon took time to travel to New York City and join in the recognition and the festivities.

 The best part of the trip was that my wife Melissa was able to join me.  Due to work schedules she is not able to attend the other industry functions that I attend and it was great to be able to introduce her to many of the great friends I have in the golf course industry.

Of course one can't go to New York City without doing a little sightseeing and even though the wind was howling Melissa and I were able to enjoy visiting the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Rockefeller Center, the new World Trade Center, and the memorial where the old World Trade Center building stood, along with catching The Lion King on Broadway at night.


I cannot thank everyone at USGA enough for their incredible hospitality and generosity.  It was truly and honor to have our golf course recognized by them.

No comments:

Post a Comment